Sunday, November 13, 2011

Laugh and Love Your Family


When he was younger, my son, Jesse, and I always kept a pair of Groucho glasses in the car—you know, the kind with the giant nose and bushy, black eyebrows and mustache. My son entertained himself and other people who pulled up alongside us on the freeway. His responses delighted me. One day he said, “Business people are too serious!” I said in mock defensiveness, “Well, I’m a business person!” He replied, “But, Mom, you’re a business person who does fun for a living.”

In my humor work, I urge grown-ups to use funny glasses, too. When I find myself behind a bus or a station wagon with young people waving their hands or making faces, I don a pair of goofy glasses and watch their reaction. Shaking up young people’s expectations of who we are as adults is a hoot! In addition, it makes my long drives seem shorter.
How many times do children laugh each day? I have seen a variety of answers to that question: 146, 200, 300, and 400. My hunch is that the number goes down as our age goes up. The number quoted most often for how many times adults laugh is a dozen times a day. I have an accounting friend, Jill, who keeps track. She is above average. For example, while previewing this book, she reported laughing out loud twenty-nine times.

No comments:

Post a Comment