Monday, November 28, 2011

Humor and Grandparents

My young grandson called the other day to wish me a happy birthday. He asked me how old I was, and I told him “62” he was quiet for a moment, and then he asked, “Did you start at 1?”

A little boy asked his grandpa how old he was. The grandpa said “you know I’m not sure.” Little boy said “check your underwear. Mine says I’m 4-6.”

It seems we don’t have to remind grandparents to enjoy children. Grandparents bring a greater freedom and acceptance of themselves and the children. Although there are big differences between parenting and grandparenting, we don’t need to wait until we are grandparents to enjoy children.

(ASIDE - When I typed the word “grandparenting,” spell check gave me a choice between hyphenating it “grand·parent·ing” or “grandpa· rent·ing.” Even spell check likes wordplay.)

I encourage people to allow parents and grandparents to tell funny stories about their children and grandchildren even if “you had to be there.” I especially like to give single parents the opportunity to tell stories of their children. One of the greatest losses in single parenting is not having someone with whom to share the funny experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment