Friday, October 21, 2011

What if the Hokey pokey is what it's all about?

My book, Laugh and Live: Reclaiming Our Sense of Humor will soon be available as an ebook. To whet your appetite, below is a brief excerpt from the introduction. More to come.

People often ask me when I got started in the humor business. I say: “Fourth grade.” As I recall, during fourth grade the sharing and telling time was particularly good. So good, that I took the stories home and shared them with my family around the supper table. It was a great source of positive attention. I continue to strive for positive attention through humor.
Although I do have many good stories to share, I don’t pretend to be a comedian. I am a humor educator. When people looking for a comedian call me, I refer them to Merrilyn Belgum (no longer doing stand up) and Susan Vass.

Merrilyn once spoke in front of 2,000 women in Milwaukee. She returned to Minneapolis and reported that she got a “standing ovulation.” By the way, she brings seventy-eight years of experience to her comedy.
Used with permission

My favorite example of Susan’s humor is about taking her ninety-year-old friend Agnes shopping. Agnes was usually pretty upbeat, but one day she was depressed. Susan asked her what was wrong. Agnes said that her husband and she had decided to get a divorce. Susan exclaimed, “After seventy years of marriage, you’re going to get a divorce now?” Agnes said, “We thought we’d wait until the children were dead.”
Used with permission

No comments:

Post a Comment